Melanie M. Barnes defends a number of class action cases and mass tort cases with a wide variety of claims, including those related to billing practices, consumer fraud, product liability, and debt collection. She is well-versed in the removal requirements imposed by the Class Action Fairness Act (CAFA) and in issues arising under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and is a consistent contributor to the firm’s TCPA Blog.
Melanie has commercial litigation experience in both federal and state court. She works on general contract disputes, property disputes and employment disputes for small businesses and large corporations. Melanie has also successfully defended a significant number of consumer arbitrations and is very-well versed in the arbitration process.
Melanie has an active pro bono practice and serves as an advocate for children in foster care. Prior to attending law school, Melanie was a world volunteer and taught English as a second language in the Dominican Republic.
- Served as court-appointed counsel in a civil rights case, for which she was second-chair in a federal jury trial.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New Jersey
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2009, Temple Law Review
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2004
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania