James M. Altieri’s practice involves complex commercial litigation in courts throughout the country on behalf of clients in the financial services, insurance, pharmaceutical, entertainment, consumer products and related industries. Jim joined the firm in 1985 and is the partner in charge of the New York office.
Since the beginning of his career in 1975, Jim has handled bench and jury trials in state and federal courts as well as matters proceeding through arbitration. In addition to general corporate litigation matters, his practice focuses on insurance coverage litigation including issues arising out of directors and officers, fiduciary, casualty, property and errors and omission exposures.
- Defended through jury verdicts a Fortune 500 company in wrongful death actions arising out of the crash of a corporate jet in New York. The case was tried before a jury for three months in the Southern District of New York.
- Defended through jury verdicts several product liability cases against leading automobile manufacturers. The cases were tried in state courts in New York.
- Represented major pharmaceutical companies in the defense of product liability litigation and in the prosecution of claims involving counterfeit or diverted pharmaceutical or consumer health products.
- Represented corporate clients in post-employment practice litigation including trade secret, misappropriation, theft of ideas and breach of confidentiality and non-solicitation agreement matters in state and federal courts in New York, Connecticut and New Jersey, including trial of a misappropriation and non-solicitation case in the District of Connecticut.
- Represented an international, institutional money management and mutual fund firm in connection with governmental claims arising out of alleged late trading and market timing practices.
- Defended major law firms in connection with malpractice actions against the firms.
- Defended an international designer and manufacturer of industrial boilers and dryers in connection with a multimillion-dollar claim for breach of contract commenced by a state entity in New Jersey.
- Defended a leading entertainment company in connection with claims arising out of screen and theatrical productions as well as losses arising out of the operation of theme parks.
- Represented corporate clients in connection with ethics, compliance and standards of business practices internal investigations.
- National counsel to a global insurer in connection with the defense and resolution of all coverage claims arising out of childhood abuse claims against religious and other legally responsible entities.
- Lead counsel to a global insurer in connection with the defense and resolution of the single largest consolidated diocesan sexual abuse litigation in history (the Archdiocese of Los Angeles).
- Counsel to a multi-line insurer in connection with one of the largest FDA-induced national recalls in history.
- Defended through a jury verdict after a five-week trial a bad faith, punitive damage case against a national insurer arising out of a multimillion-dollar first-party property claim.
- Defended bad faith litigation against a national insurer arising out of alleged pre- and post-litigation claims administration in connection with underlying toxic tort class action litigation.
- Defended and awarded summary judgment on behalf of a global fiduciary liability insurer in connection with a $70 million ERISA underlying class action.
- Defended a national insurer in connection with comprehensive environmental coverage claims arising out of underlying private and governmental environmental cleanup initiatives.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
The highly respected James Altieri continues to serve as head of the firm’s insurance coverage group and is a fine choice for national and global insurers seeking representation in matters including errors and omissions exposures, property and D&O. Sources say that he is a ‘standout lawyer in this space.’CHAMBERS USA
- New Jersey
- New York
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1975
- University of Maryland, B.S., 1971, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York