Michael O. Adelman is an experienced litigator with a broad practice that embraces many facets of complex commercial litigation, including indemnification disputes, commercial real estate matters, and high-end tax appeals for educational institutions and health care facilities. Michael also handles disputes relating to withdrawal liability under ERISA as well as high-end estate litigation.
Michael’s practice includes advising clients on high-end condemnation matters, including eminent domain law, case planning and evaluation, negotiation and mediation, and trials and appeals when necessary. He also advises nonprofit entities on property tax appeals.
A substantial part of Michael’s practice involves representing employers in withdrawal liability disputes under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
The basis of Michael’s practice is protecting his clients. In an age when clients have so much at stake, both financially and with their reputations, they cannot afford to be caught off guard by unreliable evidence and witnesses. Michael works closely with clients at the outset of a case to develop a “battle plan” that anticipates how the case will likely unfold. Michael’s experience in this collaborative process significantly limits clients’ exposure to unexpected yet potentially serious risks.
Michael has written several articles on parent subsidiary issues under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA) as well as the breadth of application of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.
American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Oral Advocacy, National Moot Court Competition (1981)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Dean Dunmore Award for Brief Writing and AdvocacyCWRU Law School (1981-82)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1982
- Columbia University, B.A., 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Natural Resource Litigation Section
- Tort Trial and Insurance Section
- Environmental Practice Section
- Board of Education of Chester, New Jersey (Past member, Past President)
- Chester Parks Master Plan Advisory Committee, Founding member
- New Jersey Bar Association