Chicago partner Darren Cahr moderated a general session at the International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting in Barcelona, Spain, on May 23, 2017.
Darren’s session was titled, “Social Media: Where Is it Going, and Can We Ethically Get There?” The panel discussion challenged ideas of how lawyers interact with technology in a world that is rapidly changing before our eyes. This session addressed novel and provocative legal ethics issues (applicable to U.S. lawyers) raised by the rapidly evolving communication platforms that are transforming every corner of our world.
Key topics included:
- What is social media and why is it different?
- How has the informal and immediate nature of modern communication changed legal practice and the business of our clients?
- How do lawyers and companies use, need and abuse social media?
- What does the future hold for social engagement?
- What rules and frameworks should you consider and understand?