Members of Drinker Biddle's newly formed "California HR" team, a cross-practice group featuring lawyers from our Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation and Labor & Employment practices, presented a webinar on the impact of the U.S. Supreme Court's Defense of Marriage Act ruling and what it means for employers, especially in connection with Proposition 8.
The webinar focused specifically on the concerns of human resources professionals and in-house counsel of companies headquartered or doing business in California, including how DOMA will impact their policies and how it will affect benefit plans and retirement plans.
Other areas of discussion include:
- Possible changes California employers need to make to welfare benefit and retirement plans.
- How beneficiaries are now determined.
- What documentation employers can require in confirming a domestic partnership or same sex marriage?
- The intersection between DOMA and FMLA.
- Marital status discrimination issues and other issues of concern to California employers.