Our Washington, D.C.-based District Policy Group is a bipartisan team comprised of government relations professionals, public policy specialists and federal lobbyists. We are different from other lobby shops in Washington. Our team members are former Hill staffers and former in-house lobbyists. We have sat where our clients sit and where policymakers make their decisions. The District Policy Group has an excellent track record of assessing clients’ advocacy and visibility assets and needs, and subsequently working with them to develop and implement a strategic plan for formalizing their efforts, growing their visibility and advancing their policy goals (or objectives).
The District Policy Group jumps into the substance and become authorities on our clients’ issues, concerns, cultures, policy positions, and advocacy agendas. With each representation, the District Policy Group customizes counsel and support to the individual needs of the client, factoring in internal resources, desired level of assistance, and particular policy goals.
Our highly-skilled team advances client interests before the legislative and executive branches of government at the federal and state levels. We bring more than two decades of Capitol Hill experience in government relations, lobbying, policy and politics as well as extensive skills and experience in working with agency rulemaking, regulatory affairs, and policy analysis and development. The team’s expertise extends beyond the Beltway, with experience in grassroots organizing, media advocacy and coalition building.
The District Policy Group is skilled at assisting for-profit, non-profit, private, and public sector clients in understanding the political and policy landscape, and with that information, setting and achieving legislative and regulatory goals. In addition, we assist clients in developing direct, close, and productive relationships with Members of Congress, Congressional staff, federal agency officials, and key thought leaders and stakeholder communities.
With a proven strategy of outreach, government relations agenda-setting, issue prioritization, and messaging, we help our clients build relationships that secure visibility and support for their policy and business priorities. We invite you to learn more about our capabilities at DistrictyPolicyGroup.com and to follow the District Policy Group on Twitter at @DistrictPolicy.
The following is a sampling of some of the District Policy Group’s recent undertakings and achievements on behalf of our clients:
- Coordinated a national grassroots and Congressional outreach campaign to reverse a decision by a federal agency to eliminate funding for a national data collection effort. The campaign involved recruiting Senators and Representatives to call and write the agency, urging restoration of funding, and working directly to generate grassroots contacts into the agency, voicing opposition to the elimination of the funding. Within ten days of the launch of the campaign, the agency announced that funding would be reinstated.
- Over the course of a three-month period, the District Policy Group conducted more than 200 Congressional lobby meetings to secure cosponsors for a client’s authorizing legislation. Helped the client achieve its goal of securing 67 cosponsors in the Senate and 290 in the House. The legislation was passed and became law.
- Implemented a comprehensive lobbying strategy for a manufacturer of ostomy prosthetic technology that resulted in CMS rescinding a proposal to have Medicare Advantage Plans limit their contracts to only certain approved manufacturers of brand technologies for Durable Medical Equipment (DME) and other supplies, including ostomy supplies; this ensured a wider range of DME and supplies would be available to beneficiaries served by the Medicare Advantage program.
- Worked with rehabilitation institutions to defeat the across-the-board bundling of Medicare acute and post-acute rehabilitation services.
- Developed a strategy to advocate for a change in the Medicare payment system to provide an incentive payment for medical research. Created and managed a coalition of nationally-recognized hospitals to implement strategy to secure the payment change.
- Established allies within Congress to include legislative language to develop new quality measures for vision services.
- Worked with the dental community to ensure CMS officials understand the difference in dental and medical delivery and coverage, while implementing state health exchange rules and pediatric dental essential benefit requirements.
- Alerted a client of a burdensome new regulatory requirement that would have prohibited reimbursement for specific Medicare services, providing background to help the client understand CMS reasoning behind the requirement so a thorough strategy for its defeat could be developed and implemented. Established a coalition of hospitals, physicians, clinical laboratories, nursing homes, and others to meet with high-level Medicare officials and involved Congressional leaders that resulted in CMS rescinding its proposal.
- Organized and facilitated a briefing with a Congressional delegation and key Congressional committee staff, highlighting a client’s clinical integration program and commercial Accoutnable Care Organization (ACO) and how they could be a model for public payors.
- Designed and implemented a comprehensive profile-raising campaign for a client to become a recognized “name” among CMS, HHS, and other executive branch officials as a leader in health system delivery reform efforts. The District Policy Group's efforts resulted in the client being invited to the White House, CMS, and the Federal Trade Commission to speak as an issue expert and participate in panel discussions on health reform issues.
- Helped design and implement a grassroots and grasstops effort to secure funding for Johanna’s Law, a national gynecologic cancer awareness program, after the program’s funding was eliminated in the President’s budget. Funding was restored in the subsequent annual appropriations bill.
- Successfully devised, organized, and led a campaign to restore funding for the Vector Borne Disease Program at the CDC, after it had been eliminated in the President’s budget.
- Developed analyses of federal budget deficit proposals, as they relate to Medicare spending, cross-walking options across various proposals being utilized by Congress in its efforts to develop pay for options, so clients could understand the likelihood of movement and prepare proactively to respond to potential threats.
- Provided personalized briefings and webinars on federal sequestration and its implications on mandatory health care programs, including Medicare and how such changes could affect funding for specific clients’ health care products and services.
- Defeated a Congressional proposal that would have imposed Medicare co-payments on certain health care services, which would have cut reimbursement to service providers approximately 20 percent and increased beneficiaries’ out-of-pocket expenses.
- Secured repeal of a Medicare Competitive Bidding Demonstration Program for specific health care services.
- Secured report language in the Senate FY 2015 and FY2016 Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations bills to urging the expansion of the Million Veterans Program at the Office of Research and Development to reach the goal of one million participants as having a larger cohort of participants will speed up discovery and further efforts to promote veterans’ health.
- Secured the inclusion of diabetes among the diseases eligible for research funding under the Department of Defense (DoD) Peer-Reviewed Medical Research Program in the FY 2015 Senate DoD appropriations bill.
- Secured report language in the Senate FY 2015 Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations bill to promote the expansion of the National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators.
Our District Policy Group team assists clients with legislative, lobbying, regulatory, policy, strategic advice and grassroots and visibility efforts. We also coordinate Hill Days and policy conferences for our clients. The following is a list of our services in this area:
Legislative and Lobbying
- Direct Lobbying and Lobbying Strategy Development
- Congressional Representation and Relationship Building
- Legislative Monitoring and Tracking
- Policy Analysis and Development
- Relationship Building
- Legislative Drafting and Policy Collateral Material Development
- Coalition Development
- Coalition Management
Regulatory and Policy
- Regulatory Comments
- Regulatory Monitoring and Tracking
- Policy Analysis and Development
- Relationship Building
- Congressional Outreach
- Collateral Material Development
- Coalition Development and Management
- Policy Meeting Facilitation
- Message Development
- Corporate Positioning
- Legislative Agenda Development
- Lobbying Strategy Development
- Regulatory Agenda Development
- Government Relations Strategic Planning
Grassroots and Visibility
- Hill Briefings and Events
- Grassroots Development
- Grasstops Cultivation
- Stakeholder Engagement and Outreach
- Deployment of Social Media for Advocacy
- Advocacy Training
- Social Media Training
- Traditional Media Training
Hill Days and Policy Conferences
- Congressional Scheduling
- Materials Development
- Advocacy Preparation and Training
- Social Media Training
- Meeting Facilitation
- Panel and Presentation Speakers and Moderators