We help clients navigate the dynamic data protection regulatory landscape in the U.S. and European Union and help them implement comprehensive information governance programs. We work with clients to achieve legal compliance and operational efficiency, and to maximize and protect the value of their data.
Our team includes former Federal Communications Commission and Federal Trade Commission attorneys, experienced litigators, and legislative and regulatory experts. We have years of experience working with clients in the life sciences, health care, insurance, pharmaceutical, intellectual property, information technology, finance, retail, education, energy, social media and labor and employment spheres.
Our team routinely provides complimentary seminars, webinars and presentations to governing boards, executive leadership, compliance officers and legal counsel on a variety of information privacy issues. Programs can be tailored to each organization’s format and objectives, and CLE and Continuing Privacy Education (CPE) accreditation can be arranged.
In response to our clients’ information privacy concerns, our lawyers offer guidance in matters ranging from domestic and global compliance issues, litigation, health IT and social media. We provide the following services:
- Develop data subject privacy notices and consents, both nationally and globally, to enable the transfer of data between affiliates in different jurisdictions
- Act as the “Virtual Privacy Security Officer (VPSO)” for clients without a chief privacy officer to project manage and train personnel to implement programs internally
- Perform privacy audits and assessments and counsel clients on privacy implications related to personally identifiable information
- Draft a variety of employee communications for our clients and advise on best practices to protect health information and other electronic data
- Advise on proper research, grant structuring, consent and data use for clinical research organizations
- Counsel clients that develop mobile applications on data privacy issues
- Advise clients in a variety of industries that market to children under the age of 13
- Build U.S. and global compliance privacy programs, including counsel related to relevant jurisdictional privacy laws
- Manage global projects implementing global biobanks and global HR, clinical research and safety databases
- Advise clients on cross-border data transfer restrictions in Europe and elsewhere
Additional Offerings from the Information Privacy, Security and Governance Team
- Scalable assessments for privacy, security and information governance (from quick hits to holistic assessments)
- Real-time incident response support and incident response prevention planning
- Tool Box – Draft and/or revise company policies around information privacy, security, and/or governance – OBA, digital marketing agreements, etc.
- Litigation support through Drinker Biddle’s wholly-owned eDiscovery subsidiary, Tritura IG
- Information Governance Framework design and implementation
- Information Inventory – work with IT to understand all ways information is created and maintained
- Data Strategy – using content governance as a tool to design data flows for improved/optimal use of data
- Data Analytics
- Data Migration and Classification
- Compliance Programs
- Technology Consulting
- Training – CLE, employee onboarding, boards
We have managed collective efforts to advance science and policy for pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device industries for more than 20 years through our Consortia Management team.
- Insurance Regulatory and Transactional
- Corporate and Securities
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Government and Regulatory Affairs
- Customs and International Trade
- Telecommunications, Media and Technology
- Information Privacy, Security and Governance
- Intellectual Property
- Commercial Litigation