Our Health Care Industry Team assists health systems, academic medical centers, hospitals, and other health care providers in planning, structuring and executing a variety of strategic affiliations, including corporate change of membership, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
We advise and counsel clients through all phases of strategic transactions: evaluation of opportunity, diligence, analysis, negotiation, document production, closing and implementation. We bring to bear the critical combination of technical ability and decades of experience advising health industry clients in a range of transactions from small acquisitions and divestitures to their most important “bet the organization” transactions.
In addition to traditional corporate transactional know-how and health care regulatory experience, we have the industry insight required for most health care transactions, including:
- Antitrust, including Hart-Scott-Rodino application and other related FTC matters.
- Employee pension and benefits
- Environmental law
- Exempt organization tax law
- Financing, including acquisition financing and debt restructuring
- Labor law compliance and union negotiations
- Physician and employee contracting
- Real estate
- Intellectual Property
Our team has advised clients on more than 250 mergers, acquisitions and divestiture projects, with the transactions ranging in size from $100,000 to $3 billion. Many of these projects involved substantial confidential counseling and premerger notification (HSR) compliance. A selection of our recent strategic transactions and partnerships projects is available below.
- Assisted Watertown Regional Medical Center (WRMC) with a first-of-its-kind whole hospital joint venture in the state of Wisconsin, through WRMC and LifePoint Health share ownership and operation of the hospital.
- Represented the University of Arizona and the Arizona Board of Regents in a strategic affiliation with the University of Arizona Health Network (UAHN) and Banner Health (Banner). The transaction included the merger of UAHN and its affiliates into Banner and its affiliates.
- Represented Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Penn. in connection with its merger with Abington Health and assisted in the development of a shared governance model that includes equal representation on a combined board as well as independent trustees.
- Advised and assisted Benefis Health System in Great Falls, Mont. in its acquisition of Teton Medical Center, a public tax district hospital, in support of Benefis’ strategy to develop rural health care services in Montana.
- Represented Mission Health in its member substitution affiliation with CarePartners, a not-for-profit post-acute care provider serving western North Carolina. We also represented Mission in its acquisition of Highlands-Cashiers Hospital, a community hospital in Highlands, N.C.
- Advised Munson Healthcare in Traverse City, Mich. on the purchase of Mercy Hospital Cadillac and Mercy Hospital Grayling from CHE Trinity. We also assisted Munson Healthcare with strengthening its affiliation with Charlevoix Area Hospital.
- Represented Mendota Community Hospital, a 25-bed critical-access hospital in Mendota, Ill., in an affiliation with OSF Healthcare System. We assisted Mendota with responding to Federal Trade Commission review, obtaining Canonical Approval, from the Vatican, and obtaining consent from the Secretary of the U.S. Housing and Urban Development.
- Represented Bon Secours Health System, Inc. in its acquisition of community-owned Rappahannock General Hospital, a 76-bed nonprofit hospital in Kilmarnock, Va., along with an affiliated medical group, and its foundation.
- Represented Mercy Health System in Janesville, Wisc. in its merger with Rockford Health System in Rockford, Ill., through the formation of a common tax-exempt parent organization.
- Advised Billings Clinic and Billings/RCHP Healthcare Holdings, LLC in Billings, Mont. on the acquisition of Community Medical Center. This transaction represents the first acquisition of a nonprofit hospital by a for-profit company in the state of Montana, and one of the few such acquisitions by a nonprofit/for-profit partnership in the United States.
- Represented the board of The Chester County Hospital and Health System in West Chester, Penn. on a strategic affiliation transaction with the University of Pennsylvania Health System. We coordinated all legal aspects of the transactions, such as identifying potential partners, formulating the deal structure, working closely with financial advisory and investment banking firms with regards to transaction financing, as well as addressing all state and federal regulatory matters.
- Represented Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in its affiliation with Northwestern Memorial Healthcare and Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation. The affiliation integrated faculty physicians and operates under the brand Northwestern Medicine.
- Represented University of Illinois in its affiliation with Carle Health System to establish the first engineering-based medical college.
- Represented Bon Secours Virginia in a joint venture with Sentara Healthcare to establish a new hospital, St. Princess Anne Hospital in Virginia Beach, Va.