Our national long-term care practice represents owners, operators, developers and lenders for all categories of senior housing and long-term care. We have represented clients with skilled nursing, assisted living, independent living and adult day-care facilities and low- and moderate-income senior housing. We also have experience with continuing-care retirement communities, hospices, home-health, home-assistance and private-duty nursing agencies and trade associations.
Our team includes transactional, financing and real estate lawyers experienced in the acquisition, sale and development of long-term care projects.
We also assist operators of long-term care facilities to attain and maintain regulatory compliance and to respond to governmental audits. Our litigation team is experienced in defending long-term care clients against governmental claims and investigations involving resident care issues as well as labor, employment and resident contract matters.
We provide full-service legal representation to the long-term care industry. Our experience includes advising clients on the following:
- Licensure applications and transfers
- Medicare and Medicaid certification, reimbursement and appeals
- Resident rights and resident care issues
- Compliance counseling and defense
- Privacy, HIPAA, and security
- Debt financing (both tax-exempt and taxable)
- Corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and affiliations
- Corporate governance
- Real estate and project development
- Representing a skilled nursing facility and rehabilitation hospital in a “greenhouse” skilled nursing project, only the second of its kind in New Jersey.
- Represented a system of nonprofit continuing care retirement communities, nursing homes, assisted-living facilities, and low- to moderate-income senior housing facilities in New Jersey as outside counsel, providing a broad range of counseling and transactional services. Our most recent work for this client includes the sale of four facilities totaling $83.5 million, as well as aseparate $20 million and $42.2 million privately placed bank bonds ,and a $25 million bank construction loan.
- Provided corporate and finance counsel to a continuing care retirement community in several renewals of its letter of credit for $36.5 million as well as compliance with financial covenants and negotiation of a Forbearance Agreement.
- Represented a large Southwestern health system in the sale of all its acute care assets and the restructuring (for continued operation) of its assisted-living services and its charitable foundation.
- Representing two clients in obtaining regulatory approvals to market and ultimately operate two new continuing care retirement communities.