We monitor evolving compliance requirements to pre-empt emerging medical staff issues and suggest preventive strategies to clients before difficulties arise. We also work closely with health care providers to ensure that physicians, physicians’ assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, pharmacists and other clinical staff are in full compliance with licensing regulations and requirements.
Our team prepares and helps our clients revise medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations, peer review policies and procedures and codes of conduct to reflect industry best practices. We have represented hospitals in many medical staff fair hearings and have effectively mediated disputes between hospitals and their medical staff.
We represent health care organizations on a wide range of medical staff matters and provide the following services:
- Prepare and amend medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations, codes of conduct and policies, including peer review policies
- Prepare faculty practice plans and departmental practice plans
- Provide counsel on compliance with medical staff bylaws and credentialing policies
- Advise hospitals and their medical staffs on initiating corrective action, conducting fair hearings, preparing testimony and creating evidentiary records to ensure that hearings are conducted with fairness and respect to all parties involved
- Represent clients in litigation resulting from medical staff matters, including successfully representing a hospital in a jury trial
- Develop education and training programs for medical staff and board leadership to help ensure that their organizations consistently put quality first and provide services in accordance with professional standards
- Develop and conduct training on how to manage relationships with employed physicians as well as independent medical staff members.
- Advise clients regarding effective peer review processes within a hospital and across the continuum of care.
- Advise on medical staff structures and governance to support clinical quality and other emerging strategic goals