Our Corporate Finance team routinely handles all types of sophisticated commercial lending transactions, such as asset-based transactions, cash flow financings and leveraged buyouts.
In recent years, our practice has focused on syndicated senior bank debt, mezzanine debt, tax-exempt bond debt, institutional private placements, Rule 144A issuances, commercial paper, securitizations and debtor-in-possession financing.
We have worked with lenders and borrowers from a number of different industries, but we have particularly deep experience working with clients in healthcare, media and telecommunications, transportation/logistics, food and beverage, retail, insurance, education and IT services. Among other types of lenders with whom we work are banks, commercial finance companies, mezzanine lenders and other institutional lenders.
Our team has a strong national reputation for understanding the market, providing practical business advice and efficiently closing deals for our clients. Our corporate finance lawyers also work strategically with lawyers in the firm’s other practices – such as private equity, health care, tax, ERISA, labor, securities, corporate restructuring and real estate – in order to provide well-rounded, informed analyses of issues that affect the commercial finance industry and to address our clients’ business objectives. With lawyers located in our New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and Princeton offices, we are poised to represent clients located in many of the country’s financial hubs. We are consistently recognized by Chambers USA as one of the top finance practices in Pennsylvania.
We also work with our workout and bankruptcy team to handle problem loan analysis, as well as debt restructuring and workout, bankruptcy, reorganization, and other aspects of creditors’ rights matters, including acquisitions of assets in bankruptcy, DIP financings, foreclosures, receiverships, lender liability claims and actions on debt instruments.
These are highlights of our work in the areas of senior lending and mezzanine lending.
Our senior bank debt practice includes our representation of financial institutions, private equity funds and other corporate clients. We concentrate on sophisticated transactions, often with complex, multilayered intercreditor issues such as second lien facilities. Recent representative senior lending engagements include the following:
- Represented the Agent in connection with a $1.7 billion acquisition financing for a manufacturer in the life sciences industry
- Represented the Agent in $120 million of senior secured facilities for acquisition financing for private equity platform acquisition including asset-based revolving credit facility
- Represented a company in the transportation industry in a $1 billion credit facility entered into in connection with a recapitalization
- Represented the Agent in a $400 million credit facility for a multinational technology company
Our mezzanine debt practice is deeply experienced, representing and advising lenders, investors and borrowers in structuring and closing highly negotiated and complex finance transactions. Our mezzanine lender clients provide subordinated loans, both secured and unsecured, with and without an equity component, in transactions frequently involving leveraged buy-outs and recapitalizations. Recent representative mezzanine lending engagements include the following:
- Represented a fund managed by large global credit-oriented alternative asset manager in $60 million mezzanine loan to private equity portfolio company to refinance existing senior and second lien debt
- Represented a private equity fund in obtaining a senior secured loan, a senior secured revolver and a mezzanine loan to finance a platform acquisition of a manufacturer and supplier of automotive parts, tools and services
- Represented small business investment company in connection with $5.5 million mezzanine loan with equity warrants to finance acquisition of a technology services company
- Represented mezzanine debt and equity investment firm in $7.5 million mezzanine loan and warrant for 7 percent of nationwide supplier of home security products and services.
Named Among Top Three Best Corporate Practices in PennsylvaniaThe Legal Intelligencer Best Law Firm Corporate Practices 2015